Tuesday 20 December 2011

The Pros and Cons of Traveling Alone

Traveling alone is no fun.

I was told that this entire idea is risky, trash and a fool's dream. Additionally, I could not get down the train and get myself a snack or enough water. Neither I could take care of my luggage alone, nor sleep well as there was always the risk of bandits traveling by your side, unaware. Above all, I am a woman and without companion traveling was the stupidest thing I could think of.

I changed my mind. In no circumstances was I going to risk my life.

Another month dragged itself. Stressed at workplace and messed up in life, there was no way but to take up the risk. Nobody consented to travel along with me, and yet I was at the receiving end of reprimands from people, family and friends in all.

The day came when I finally gave in to the inner voice, packed my clothes which were few, asked the office peon to get me a first-class ticket, got my casual leave sanctioned from my supervisors, told my family and took the rickshaw to the city railway station, and went away.

I was so overcome by the feeling of independence that I could not restrain my tears. For one time, money, home and career did not matter. For the first time, I tasted absolute freedom from worries. I realized that I was steering my life with my own decisions and nobody at all, was responsible for my happiness or sadness.

From Karachi to Lahore, it was a journey of 16 hours. I was seeing many sights, green fields of mustard, cotton and rice passed in front of our window glasses. A farmer tilling the land on his tractor or pulled by the pairs of bulls, women working alongside men in fields, children playing nearby, rocks, buildings, scenery, rivers, mountains, tunnels and cultural richness augmented my excitement like a child's.

In Lahore, I stayed with a relative who was also busy with her own activities, job and family. I designed my own plans and tried my best to stick to them as planned. All the fallacy about lonely traveler was unfounded and I discovered that every family which was traveling beside me was going an extra mile to make sure I get the right directions and reach my destinations safely and easily.

It was one week of brief stay outside my city and away from the comforts of home. I did not return home with lots of gifts and souvenirs. I returned with memories, and light-heartedness, although the light-headedness was gone. Fresh and brimming with beauty of nature, I did not say a thing. People told me what difference they were observing in me, after the return.

Money was no hindrance in it either. Safety was a matter of God's domain. I was just a bystander, enjoying the wine of love, life and happiness and the entire universe celebrating my excitement alongside.

I believe traveling alone is as much fun as traveling along with someone else. Your companion can only fulfill your needs of company and safety but enjoying life is your own cup of tea and for that you do not have to rely on anyone, nor have to make a special kitchen for it.

All you can do is whenever you feel like, get up, put a few things together and let the burner do its job. Besides, freedom and independence spice up your life more than anything else. And for an adventurous soul as mine, it is the best reward because many answers are wordless, especially when Nature gives them.

Tally Ho!


View the original article here

No comments: