Wednesday 21 September 2011

New Country Day: Iceland

New Country: Iceland Date: 26 August 2011

Iceland Flag

My first new country for 2011 brings me to Iceland. I haven’t been to a new country since Brunei last November, even though I have been to eight countries since.

I am visiting Iceland as a stopover between New York and London. This is a trip I have been wanting to do for years, but I have previously not found a reasonable fare.

Upon arrival the air hostess announced that it was 6 degrees (c) outside. 6 degrees, in August! Did I hear that right? After spending much of the year in tropical extremities, I found the crisp morning a refreshing change, once I had dug out the cold weather clothes from my bag.

So far Iceland is everything I thought it would be. I love the space and sense of remoteness of the lava plains. Not loving so much the high cost of living (though I note that bananas are cheaper here than in Australia).

Photos to follow.


View the original article here

No comments: